Office templates or not?

1. Default Office templates or not?
    Medical Coding Books
    Hi out there,

Does anyone know if currently Medicare or any other commercial payer has made any rules against creating office templates for physician documentation? I know that really this shouldn't be the direction many offices should go, however I have a physician that just cannot get the whole E/M process. I have been educating him for the past year, so our administration thought it would be a great idea to create a template for him. This would be for his office follow ups.

I need direction, please help...

While I do not know of any rules per se, I do know that the OIG is and has been investigating the overuse/abuse of templets and they caution that the use of templets however tempting is not a good idea. If you want to use say a standardized format with fill-in-the-blank areas so the physician can fill in patient specific and pertinent information that would be better.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

3. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    While I do not know of any rules per se, I do know that the OIG is and has been investigating the overuse/abuse of templets and they caution that the use of templets however tempting is not a good idea. If you want to use say a standardized format with fill-in-the-blank areas so the physician can fill in patient specific and pertinent information that would be better.
    Thank you for the reply, I am so on the fence with this. I mean other than tranferring the information on paper, it is my understanding that EMR's pretty much work the same way. I guess I will be very cautious on this until each one of our docs have transfered to our EMR.

Thank you!