AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Please someone help!!!

Default Please someone help!!!

AAPC: Back to School
    Can someone please answer this for me, my doc performed and I&D of a fistula tract from the skin on the flank all the way up into the rib.
    description of the procedure reads as follows
    an incisicon was made to extend the already opened fistula tract, pieces of the tract were excised and taken for samples for path, we continued dissection down the tract, the tract extended into one of her ribs, we extended our dissection to just inside of the rib, but no further. we curetted the walls of the tract, then the entire tract was packed using kerlix , this was then left open for drainage. I hope someone can answer this because we have looked at everything we could think of and still no luck...thank you for all the help...alice

Milwaukee WI

Default Where's the drainage?

The description of the procedure is pretty slight. I don't see that this is an Incision and Drainage. I'm thinking perhaps more of a wound debridement. You'll need the Sq Cm to code ... but look at 11043-11047.

What codes had you been looking at?

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Default re-please help

Thank you for answering, we looked at the 11043-11047, we looked at procedure for closure of the fistula (that wasn't right) and we looked at the I&D, we will look again at the 1104 codes..thank you for your help..alice