Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Close left atrial appendage

Default Close left atrial appendage
    Medical Coding Books
    Is there a code for capturing closure of a left atrial appendage using a 'clip' device?

I was hoping he did a limited MAZE however that is not the case or am I missing something. Please see below:

The patient was brought to the operating room and in the supine position, she
    was placed under satisfactory double-lumen endotracheal anesthesia.
    Prophylactic systemic antibiotics were administered and she was prepped and
    draped in a sterile fashion. Now, in the left third intercostal space, at the
    mid axillary line, a 5 millimeter port was placed and CO2 was insufflated.
    Another 5 millimeter port was placed in the mid clavicular line, in about the
    second intercostal space, and a larger port was placed down in the mid
    axillary line at about the fifth intercostal space. This was enlarged so that
    it would allow the clip to be introduced into the chest.

Now, with great care to preserve the integrity of the phrenic nerve and the
    recurrent laryngeal nerve, I opened the pericardium posterior to the phrenic
    nerve. A pericardial stay suture was placed in the anterior leaflet of the
    pericardium, just posterior to the phrenic nerve, and this was lifted up and
    brought out through the anterior chest wall to help protect the phrenic nerve
    and to expose the left atrial appendage. Now, the clip was introduced through
    the most caudad port site and it was manipulated around the atrial appendage
    and down to the very base, where it was closed. There was good closure and
    total occlusion of the atrial appendage.
    Julie Graham, BA, CPC, CCC

2. Default
    Hi Julie,

There is no code for ligation (clip) of the atrial appendage. When performed with a Maze procedure or a mitral valve procedure, this is included. If another cardiac procedure is done with this, such as a cabg, you can add modifier -22 to the primary procedure (when medical necessity supports billing for the ligation).

Due to the fact that there was no other procedure performed in this case, I think you need to use an unlisted code. Check with your surgeon regarding the fee, it might be a comparable to a pericardiotomy (33020).

Hope this helps. If anyone else knows of a code, I would be happy to know about it as well

Lisi, CPC
    eharkler@nmh.org

Okay I had heard that as well but I've always been 'lucky' enough for it to be a MAZE. I've read and re-read this rpt, reaching. LOL.

I was afraid I'd have to use the unlisted. But hey, now I know. Unless someone else knows a better code. Thanks a million, Lisi!

4. Default Stapling of Left Atrial Appendage
    Is there a code for the stapling of a Left Atrial Appendage when performed with CABG/AVR with no mention of MAZE procedure. PLease advise

Alisa
    CVS-VERO BEACH-FL

Some names you may see within the OP report: “LAA” aka atrial appendage ligation, plication or clip.
    If an atrial appendage procedure is performed with cardiac procedure other than MAZE or Mitral valve, then if may be reported separately:
    A) For removal of thrombus, use 33310/33315 (cardiotomy) and append modifiers 59 and the 51.
    B) For other than thrombus removal, append the -22 modifier to the main procedure code or use the unlisted code, 33999 to report the atrial appendage procedure.
    C) If the atrial appendage procedure is the only procedure performed, report the unlisted code, 33999.
    • If the procedure is for prevention of a-fib (427.31), it does not meet medical necessity for Medicare and should not be reported.
    • If it is done for treatment of chronic a-fib (427.31), then medical necessity would be met and you should report considering the criteria outlined above.

HTH

Some names you may see within the OP report: “LAA” aka atrial appendage ligation, plication or clip.
    If an atrial appendage procedure is performed with cardiac procedure other than MAZE or Mitral valve, then if may be reported separately:
    A) For removal of thrombus, use 33310/33315 (cardiotomy) and append modifiers 59 and the 51.
    B) For other than thrombus removal, append the -22 modifier to the main procedure code or use the unlisted code, 33999 to report the atrial appendage procedure.
    C) If the atrial appendage procedure is the only procedure performed, report the unlisted code, 33999.
    If the procedure is for prevention of a-fib (427.31), it does not meet medical necessity for Medicare and should not be reported.
    If it is done for treatment of chronic a-fib (427.31), then medical necessity would be met and you should report considering the criteria outlined above.

HTH

Charlottesville - Piedmont Association of Coders
    Default New Code for 2012
    If performed percutaneously see CPT 00281T as of 2012 to current. Thanks,

Does Medicare pay for this CAT III code? 0281T..?

Thanks!

9. Default
    Does anyone have a code that the 33999 can be mirrored to for pricing? I have to have this code set up and need to price it. Thanks.
    Medicare does pay on category III codes, but it can be a struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by jewlz0879 View Post
    If the procedure is for prevention of a-fib (427.31), it does not meet medical necessity for Medicare and should not be reported.
    If it is done for treatment of chronic a-fib (427.31), then medical necessity would be met and you should report considering the criteria outlined above.

HTH
    Julie,
    I find your information very helpful but I was wondering what your source was?
    Thanks,
    Jill Hansen, CPC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast