AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Consultation with parent

Default Consultation with parent

AAPC: Back to School
    A parent came in and used up an appointment time to discuss their child with the Pediatrition. Child was not there. Can he bill for this?

Lubbock, TX

Quote Originally Posted by dmetz View Post
    A parent came in and used up an appointment time to discuss their child with the Pediatrition. Child was not there. Can he bill for this?

I don't have my CPT with me, but I know there's a section on non face-to-face physician services - check there, and in the miscellaneous physician services in the back of the medicine section to see if you can find something that fits.

According the CPT manual for E/M clinic services (eg, 99213), "Physicians typically spend XX minutes face-to-face with the patient and/or family". As long as the discussion is related to the child's condition and care, the provider may bill the E/M based on time (due to the fact that more than 1/2 the visit would be spent in counseling) as long as he/she documents that time in the note. I would recommend using code V65.19 - other person consulting on behalf of another person as an additional diagnosis code.

Milwaukee WI

Default Parent = patient

This is more frequently used in pediatrics because a minor child is not considered qualified to assist with medical decision making, so in essence the parent IS the patient.

I would not include the V65.19.

I would bill the visit based on time spent in counseling/coordination of care.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Thanks so much