Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Coding from home - Medical Coding

1. Question
    Medical Coding Books
    Cathy, that was very thoughtful of you to forward this info to the coding network, thank you. I guess I should stop deleting AAPC's emails...

2. Default
    i want the email please harris_shaunice@yahoo.com

3. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLaw View Post
    I don't know if you all have been getting the email from the AAPC from the Coding Network looking for at-home coders, but it looks like a good oppertunity! They are looking for coders to work from home, anywhere in the U.S, part time or full time. You may be interested. I saved the email on my Blackberry. If any of you are interested, let me know and I can forward you the email.

Thanks,
    Catherine
    hello, Catherine! i am very interested in the work from home jobs. so can you please email it to me, would really appreciate it! blalocklynn@yahoo.com

The Coding Network used to contract for my current employer, doing ED coding. I was the in house contact person for their coders and they all seemed very happy with their jobs.

They also have their own auditors checking on their coder's work - which was a selling point for us..not sure how the coders felt about it, though!

One thing to be aware of with any sort of contract work - it all depends on how many clients need coders...sometimes the work is only seasonal, or a stop-gap while the client finds an employee to fill the need. You might find yourself having to handle documentation in many different formats, if you work with different clients... and there may be times when there's not enough work to keep all the coders working.

Another factor - every contract coder I've talked with has been responsible for supplying his/her own computer, code books, and high-speed internet connection. One of the ones working on our contract had chronic connectivity issues, due to her geographic location, and we had to ask TCN to replace her. We've also had trouble in the past with contract coders not having computers that were compatible with our systems.

Just a few things to consider.
    Last edited by KatHopkins; 06-16-2012 at 01:43 PM.

5. Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by KatHopkins View Post
    The Coding Network used to contract for my current employer, doing ED coding. I was the in house contact person for their coders and they all seemed very happy with their jobs.

They also have their own auditors checking on their coder's work - which was a selling point for us..not sure how the coders felt about it, though!

One thing to be aware of with any sort of contract work - it all depends on how many clients need coders...sometimes the work is only seasonal, or a stop-gap while the client finds an employee to fill the need. You might find yourself having to handle documentation in many different formats, if you work with different clients... and there may be times when there's not enough work to keep all the coders working.

Another factor - every contract coder I've talked with has been responsible for supplying his/her own computer, code books, and high-speed internet connection. One of the ones working on our contract had chronic connectivity issues, due to her geographic location, and we had to ask TCN to replace her. We've also had trouble in the past with contract coders not having computers that were compatible with our systems.

Just a few things to consider.
    Helencombs and KatHopkins,
    Thank you for the info. I had seen advertisments for Coding Network but never heard anyone say they worked for them or knew much about them. Helen, Why do you not know if full time is a possibility? I'm just wondering?
    Theresa CCS-P CPMA CCC ICDCT-CM

Default full time
    I think it would depend on your specialty - my specialty doesn't seem to have enough work for full-time. it's barely part-time at some times of the month. After working with them a bit though, I might suggest looking elsewhere. There has come to light things that I'm not entirely comfortable with and I would guess any other coder wouldn't be either. But it's just my opinion. As always, do your research.

And sometimes finding a work from home position in general is entirely specialty dependent. Some specialties are easier to find at-home jobs for as some coding companies may only contract for that one specialty. Emergency Room for instance. It's easy to do from home and there are a few large companies that are becoming strictly ER Coding companies that only hire at home ER coders. You can have an ER coder from California coding for an ER in Georgia. As apposed to say, Internal Medicine? Not impossible, but probably alot harder to find. Usually those at home jobs start out in office and they get sent home.

Everyone needs to take into consideration the following things when thinking
    about working from home.

Experiance, Many Work from home companys require you have at least 3-5 yrs
    some even more. Some require other requirements. (Example: Government/Military)

If you want to work from home because you want to be with your children.
    Many work from home Coders have a quota to make per day. Its VERY hard
    to get your work done when you have MOM, MOM ,MOM every 2 mins.

It doesnt give you extra time to , clean the house, play with the kids, run to the grocery store. I actully have Less time now than i did working at a Regular Job.

Not only do most work from home have a Quota, but they get paid by the chart,
    so if you dont get your work done you dont get paid.

9. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by DoDCoder4You View Post
    Everyone needs to take into consideration the following things when thinking
    about working from home.

Experiance, Many Work from home companys require you have at least 3-5 yrs
    some even more. Some require other requirements. (Example: Government/Military)

If you want to work from home because you want to be with your children.
    Many work from home Coders have a quota to make per day. Its VERY hard
    to get your work done when you have MOM, MOM ,MOM every 2 mins.

It doesnt give you extra time to , clean the house, play with the kids, run to the grocery store. I actully have Less time now than i did working at a Regular Job.

Not only do most work from home have a Quota, but they get paid by the chart,
    so if you dont get your work done you dont get paid.

I totally agree with DoDCoder4You. I have way LESS time working at home than I did working onsite.
    ~Amy, CPC, CPMA, CEMC~
    Auditor/Consultant

10. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLaw View Post
    I don't know if you all have been getting the email from the AAPC from the Coding Network looking for at-home coders, but it looks like a good oppertunity! They are looking for coders to work from home, anywhere in the U.S, part time or full time. You may be interested. I saved the email on my Blackberry. If any of you are interested, let me know and I can forward you the email.

Thanks,
    Catherine
    yes, please send me the email address..

mine is bizierbaseball@aol.com

Thanks so much.
    Lisa

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast