Look at code 33641. Although, I should add, while at the STS Coding conference in October, Dr. Smith mentioned that if the surgeon is already in the heart for another procedure (ie: mitral valve repair), you may not want to charge separately for this.
I'd say use your best judgment. For years I billed PFO closures with other open cardiac procedures and never had any trouble getting them paid. I do understand what the STS is saying though, its not much work and if the surgeon is already in there....
Hope that helps.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join