AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Modifier to use when a different physician does surgery within global period

Default Modifier to use when a different physician does surgery within global period

AAPC: Back to School
    Can anyone advise me on how to code a return to the operating room by a different physician in our group within the global period? The first procedure was 50590(stone in the kidney) and the patient returned 2 days later and the codes were 52353 and 52332(stone in urethra). The modifier I would normally use refers to the same doctor. I would appreciate any help.

I have always been told and I do it at our clinic with many dr's. That same physican also means within the same practice. So you should be able to use -58 if that is what you are using.

Jessica Harrell, CPC

Try -78 -- Return to OR for a related procedure during the post- op period.
    Susie Corrado, CPC
    ENT Coding/Billing

Thank you for the information. That helps a lot because I was not sure if "same physician" would include different physicians in the same group.

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-14-2012, 01:19 PM
  2. E&M by different physician in Global period
    By moremopars1 in forum E/M
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 09:47 AM
  3. global period BEFORE surgery???
    By LaSeille in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 03:09 PM
  4. Global Period Surgery