AAPC - Back to school

Thread: ICD-9 code for kidney scarring help!!!

Unhappy ICD-9 code for kidney scarring help!!!

AAPC: Back to School
    Good morning AAPC members,

I am seeking help in finding an accurate code for a patient that has scarring of the kidney shown on an U/S. I looked into the post op report and all the surgeon has listed is "scarring of the kidney" associated with abdominal pain. The patient has a history of kidney stones, I am not sure if this would be the cause of their abdominal pain.

But the physician is insistant that we use 709.2, I disagree because this code is under Other Disorders of skin and subcutaneous tissue.

Any suggestions on a different code to choose from? I went back and forth in the ICD-9 book and could not come up with anything close for "scarring of the kidney".

Thank you,

P.S. The physician does not know what has caused the scarring..

593.9, or 793.6

This appropriates more closer 587: Renal Sclerosis- Fibrosis, cirrhosis contracted ,atrophic Kidney. Renal fibrosis describes the scenario more .
    hope this helps

Stuart, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by preserene View Post
    This appropriates more closer 587: Renal Sclerosis- Fibrosis, cirrhosis contracted ,atrophic Kidney. Renal fibrosis describes the scenario more .
    hope this helps
    I agree with preserene's answer. Code 587, Renal sclerosis, unspecified, is the best possible fit for DX of scarring, or “sclerosis,” of the kidney.

when soft organ or tissue becomes hard. a process in which a soft organ or soft tissue in your body becomes hard.
    Vanessa Mier, CPC

I also agree with Preserene.you can use 587 for scarring of the kidney.(Sclerosis of kidney).

Nalini CPC

Smile Thank you!

I so much appreciate everyone's input, I will forward this information to my billing department!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!