AAPC - Back to school

Thread: one external hemorrhoid

Default one external hemorrhoid

AAPC: Back to School
    I looked everwhere in cpt book for excision of one external hemorrhoid, the closest I came was cpt code 46255 but it says internal and external, I hate to use a unlisted code also booking was for an EUA - cpt code 45990 with possible 46260 , but I know 46260 is notthe code ?,
    any suggestions ?thanks trent

POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSES: 1. Sarcoma. 2. Rectal pain. 3. Rectocele.
    OPERATION: EUA and excision of external hemorrhoid in the 12 o'clock position.
    The patient was taken to the OR, prepped and draped in the usual sterile in prone jackknife position. We were able to see some prolapse of her bladder into her vagina. We also saw an external hemorrhoid on internal inspection of the anal canal. We did not see any masses or significant internal hemorrhoids. She appeared to have good sphincter tone. No fistulas. The external hemorrhoid which was posterior was excised using electrocautery and closed using 3-0 Vicryl. The tissue was sent to Pathology. Hemostasis was assured. All needle and sponge counts were correct.

If "thrombosed" I would use 46320 or Hemorrhoidectomy, external, single colomn/group use 46999

what about 46250-52? if not specified as thrombosed?

Similar Threads

1. help with Ablation of external hemorrhoid by electrocautery
    By donna3679 in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 11:07 AM
  2. Hemorrhoidectomy, single external hemorrhoid
    By FLSJarrel in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 11:13 AM
  3. External Hemorrhoid banding
    By grothrock in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0