residual stenosis ?? peripheral can you charge

Default residual stenosis ?? peripheral can you charge
    Medical Coding Books
    Regarding the peripheral intervention coding. If a physician angioplasties and patient has residual stenosis in treated area so physician stents the same area due to the residual stenosis can the angioplasty be charged in additon to the stenting? In 2010 it could be charged seperatley and for some reason I am thinking that they kept the rule in place for 2011 but I can't locate my source or any information regarding whether or not it is appropriate to charge for residual stenosis. Please help!

2. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by jhcpc09 View Post
    Regarding the peripheral intervention coding. If a physician angioplasties and patient has residual stenosis in treated area so physician stents the same area due to the residual stenosis can the angioplasty be charged in additon to the stenting? In 2010 it could be charged seperatley and for some reason I am thinking that they kept the rule in place for 2011 but I can't locate my source or any information regarding whether or not it is appropriate to charge for residual stenosis. Please help!
    Good question. Based on what I have read the only time angioplasty would be coded is when it is the sole intervention performed these days 2011.
    Theresa Dix CCS-P CPMA CCC ICDCT-CM

3. Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by theresa.dix@ethc.com View Post
    Good question. Based on what I have read the only time angioplasty would be coded is when it is the sole intervention performed these days 2011.
    Also i found this article which says these new codes get rid of the "intent" rule with the angioplasties. I think this is what you are looking for.

http://aimsymposium.com/pdf/vei/4258.pdf

Copy and paste this.

Thanks for the article. Great help!!!

5. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by jhcpc09 View Post
    Thanks for the article. Great help!!!

Your Welcome