AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: question for coders who are currently working from home...

Default Explain Medical Coding

AAPC: Back to School
    After receiving overwhelming requests for information about what I do and how I acheived an at home coding job I decided to create a website with all of the information I was constantly repeating to others. That way when I was asked about it I could just give them my web address. I'd be happy to have you take a look. If you think it would help you feel free to pass the address on to others...http://www.medicalbillingandmedicalcoding.com/

Cool Don't take is so seriously

No offense, but it sounds like you need to lighten up and just refer them to take a course in coding. Coding isn't the hardest job in the world, but yes you do need experience. You are making it out like no one can learn this and that you are way smarter than them. Just tell them "It's not as simple as you think: you should take a course" and be done with it.

Default Working from home

I agree, I have been working form home since 2007 and have received soooo many questions.

Unfortunately the field seems triviaalized because of all the media that tells people "anyone" can do it.

Idecided to create a website for all of the asiring medical coders out there explaining what coding is, the credentials, education required, etc.

Here's a link http://www.medicalbillingandmedicalcoding.com/ please feel free to share it with all of the curious people in your lives

Louisville, KY

While I realize that what we do doesn't require the same level of expertise as someone graduating medical school, if many of these academic coding programs really showed students what to expect, that might prevent people from making a professional and personal mistake. We (as a profession) are adapting to be "assessed" on everything. It makes sense that we might as well expose those students to assessments early on--for example, taking one before they begin classes. This way, they are far more comfortable with the concept of being tested and it may point people toward another direction if this is really something they are not interested in doing.

This thread has shown that people who are initially interested sometimes back out when they fully understand what is required of them. Most HIM, Coding and Cancer Registry programs do not have students submit to any form of assessment to gain entry into the program. There might be academic standards, like GPA, but that is really it. We might be better served to have some additional elements of selection criteria to prevent our industry from being oversaturated and also helping people find out if this is or is not the job for each of them.
    Kevin B. Shields, RHIT, CPCO, CCS, CPC, COC, CCS-P, CPC-P, CPC-I

I have had this too. I give them the name of the school I attended and a "rough quote" of what that will cost them. Then I tell them about the "big test" you have to take to get certified and what that will cost them. I am always "encouraging" in the manner in which I relay this information. I don't try to make it sound like I don't think they could or would do what it takes. So far I know of one person who followed through and signed up for classes (although she chose a real classroom setting & I went the online route) I assume she finished it but I don't know for sure since she was the wife of my ex-husband's best friend & I haven't seen her since he & I split.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoleshannon View Post
    No offense, but it sounds like you need to lighten up and just refer them to take a course in coding. Coding isn't the hardest job in the world, but yes you do need experience. You are making it out like no one can learn this and that you are way smarter than them. Just tell them "It's not as simple as you think: you should take a course" and be done with it.
    "No offense" but until you have walked in the shoes of experienced coders, you really do not know if it is hard or not. You assume that because you have taken the practice curriculum, that you know where we stand with this. Nobody on here said that no one can learn this and that we are "smarter" than them. We are trying to be realistic and polite. IMO when (or if) you have worked in this field 5-7 years and are blessed to be able to work from home, then you can actually comment about this... until then please keep your comments to yourself as you have no clue where anybody was coming from. Just sayin.

Default worse than this...

You know what I get that is worse than this...
    The people who act like my job is not important because I work from home.
    Everyone seems to think that because I am home I have time to chat on the phone or do this or that favor for them. I also get "since you're on the computer anyway, would you look up this for me? or "post this on eBay for me?'
    I don't mind doing things for friends or family but I wish they would remember that I am working and would ask me when might be a good time for me, instead of just expecting me to do things at the drop of a hat.
    Yes I do set my own schedule and if something comes up I can just log out and come back later but then I am stuck working while the rest of my family is enjoying the evening or I am up very late at night or over the weekend trying to get caught up.
    I generally don't answer the phone anymore unless the caller ID shows it is the kid's school or the company I work for and I also will not answer the door either but it irks me because I being called rude over this.

Boy. so there are many of you out there who have experienced the same thing. I get it from family members who think it is no big deal. I tell them about all the time I spent working to get here and how my hours are more then if I was to work in a office. I even have a niece who will not talk to me any more since I told her it was difficult and you needed the education and daycare if you have children at home! People just do not understand how important and difficult our jobs are. I just change the subject. or say hard to get a remote job good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12