AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Renal Dialysis/Nephrology

Default Renal Dialysis/Nephrology

AAPC: Back to School
    Need some assistance from nephrology coder experts..

Is there any issues on not being reimbursed for dialysis treatment on day of discharge from hospital?

Caroline, great to see another nephology person. My understaning is both code can be submitted.

It is my understanding that 90935, 90937, 90945 or 90947 can be billed with any other E&M service not related to dialysis procedure or renal failure.

Default dialysis billing

My understanding is also both codes could be used IF for separate diagnosis.

I am new to nephrology and am having trouble with the monthly dialysis billing.
    I am fine with the full month of coding with 90961 for age 20yr and up and for 2-3 face to face visits for the facility and 90966 for home dialysis for esrd. What if the patient is in the hospital for a portion of the month? Do I still bill the 90961/90966 along with the 90945 or 90935 when he sees the patients in the dialysis unit. OR do I use 90970 for the outpatient days and the appropriate hospital codes. and the 90935/90945 while they are in the hospital? I can't find any clear information on this matter. Please help!

Default dialysis billing

Hi Sherry, If you are dealing with a Home Dialysis pt and the patient is in the hospital for example from June 1- 15. You would use the appropiate hosptial codes for the hospital stay, From June 16-30 you would use the 90970(daily/partial month) for the rest of the month. It should look something like this 90970 X 15(days left in the month). Hope this helps!