AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Avulsion Fragment of the Medial Malleolar

Default Avulsion Fragment of the Medial Malleolar

AAPC: Back to School
    Post Op: Painful medial malleolar avulsion fragment, chronic

A midline incision over the distal medial malleolus was made and dissection continued down to teh deltoid ligament. C-arm views were obtained noting the location of the frament. This was marked off on the skin with a marker. The deltoid ligament was split retracting the anterior and posterior fragment was thus encountered. Carefully, the fragment was removed circumferentially from its soft tissue attachments. This fragment was split leaving a smaller and more posterior piece. This too was carefully shelled out from around its soft tissue attachments. This was removed. The ankle was copiously irrigated.C-arm views noted that the malleolar fragment had been removed. The Deltoid ligament was repaired with #0 Vicryl stitches followed by washout ant hen the sub-q closure with 2-0 Vicryl. Steri-Strips were applied.

Anyone have any ideas? The physicians office coded 27640 but I am not sure because the fragment was in the soft tissue or am I reading too much into this? Any help is GREATLY appreciated! I was considering maybe 27610 with 76000 for fluoro?
    Last edited by bethh05; 02-10-2011 at 10:23 AM.

I don't see an arthrotomy made so I leaning towards 27640

I am a little unclear about the arthrotomy, are there specific guidelines to coding an arthrotomy? This was the ankle which is a joint, does the incision have to go into the synovium to qualify as an arthrotomy. Sorry, any clarification is appreciated!

Similar Threads

1. Excision of Ununited Bone Fragment Medial Epicondyle
    By Jody Mortensen in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-02-2015, 06:44 PM
  2. Revision of Medial Malleolar Fracture CPT
    By tbensonite in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2014, 09:40 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2014, 02:22 PM
  4. medial or medial/lateral menisectomy?
    By BFAITHFUL in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 09:05 AM
  5. Perc. screw fixation of lat malleolar fx
    By Partha in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-15-2009, 09:30 AM