According to CPT "Code selection is determined by measuring the greatest clinical diameter of the apparent lesion plus that margin required for complete excision." In the case for the lesion on the face that is 0.5 X 0.5cm and has an excised diameter of 1.0cm X 0.5cm you add largest diameter (0.5) and the margins of 0.25 on either side of the lesion. 0.5 + 0.5 = 1.0cm. The correct code should be 11441.
For the second question when a lesion is 1 X 2cm the largest diameter is 2cm. Add the 2cm to the excised margins (which should be in the operative note) to get the appropriate code.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join