AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Procedure Report Required?

Default Procedure Report Required?

AAPC: Back to School
    I am doing an audit on procedure documentation. I would like some opinions on whether a tongue biopsy (for example) needs to have a procedure report. I believe it does, but there is a description in the E/M documentation of the location of the lesion, along with a comment such as, "this was biopsied in the office today with a small amount of local." Is this enough documentation to support code 41100?

Again, I'd like some other opinions.... Am I being too picky?

Kay, CPC

Baltimore East, MD

I wouldn't be comfortable coding based on that statement, because it doesn't specify "I performed the procedure" so how are you to know the doctor billing for the biopsy is actually the one performing it? I'd also want to see documentation of the method of the biopsy, what kind of anesthetic/how much was used, and whether or not there were any complications...

Similar Threads

1. Required documentation in Procedure Note for TESI?
    By chriscottd in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-06-2015, 11:27 PM
  2. Procedure missing required elements
    By stephaniec5 in forum Auditing General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-10-2014, 10:21 PM
  3. REQUIRED ELEMENTS for common procedure in PED ED
    By kviolet in forum Emergency Department
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 05:19 AM
  4. Replies: 0