AAPC - Back to school

Thread: modifiers question

Default modifiers question

AAPC: Back to School
    As a beginner I started to code labs. There were many cases when on the same form were marked both a comprehensive metabolic panel (80053) that includes total protein(84155) and protein electrophoresis with the same 84155. The software promted me to add a modifier 59 or 91 in order to proceed. I thought that 91 is inappropriate because it seemed to be the same sample done for different markers by different technology and not a subsequential test for the same marker, and therefore I added 59. However, during one of the last seminars at work we were told that it should be 91 . Please help me with my confusion. If I really was wrong putting 59 for a long period of time did I cause a lot of damage in terms of overbilling and what should be done to fix it(all of it happened 5 yr ago).

Des Plaines, Il

Default CMP Panel-80053

Good Morning,

You mentioned that your coding practices occurred approx., 5 years ago. I'm not sure about that timeframe but my current CPT Book shows that the "Total Electrophresis" is not even a component of the CMP Panel. I show it listed as-84165, so I would imagine if this was the case back then, there should have been no modifier use at all, please come again?

John A., CPC

Similar Threads

1. Question about Modifiers 54 and 55
    By Swardjohnson in forum Modifiers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 11:58 AM
  2. Question about Modifiers.
    By spharrel in forum E/M
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2011, 08:34 AM
  3. Modifiers Question
    By spharrel in forum Medical Coding General Discussion