I'll wager an opinion here.
As long as the counseling was not geared towards a specific illness or a symptom or was not performed as part of the patient's annual physical exam, then I think 99401 would be the correct code. The description of this code states "approximately 15 mins," so I think it can still be used for a 5 minute session. I would make sure that the time is indeed documented and the extent of the counseling provided is noted in the chart.
Hope this helps and again this is my opinion.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join