AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Books- 2011 ICD-9cm for Hospitals and Payers and HCPCS level II expert

Default Books- 2011 ICD-9cm for Hospitals and Payers and HCPCS level II expert

AAPC: Back to School

Could any one of you help me out in deciding which books to Buy for 2011 (AAPC or Ingenix) for ICD and HCPCS.

Please explain me the merits and demerits of both the publishers.

I have been buying Ingenix for these years....

First of all I’d suggest you to compare sample pages of these books: Here’s AAPC ICD 9 sample page: http://aapcperfect.s3.amazonaws.com/...ample-Web1.pdf. Here’s Ingenix book: http://www.shopingenix.com/upload/pd...011%20ICD9.pdf
    Here’s a short summary:
    Illustrations: AAPC book has full color richly-detailed anatomical Illustrations, Ingenix book has 2-colors illustrations.
    Definitions: AAPC book has Layman’s descriptions for the codes, when Ingenix ICD 9 book has clinically-oriented definitions for particular diseases and conditions.
    Guidelines: AAPC ICD 9 book has them both in full text in the introduction (educators’ preference) and parsed at the code level (coders’/billers’ preference), Ingenix book has them in introduction only.
    Both publishers have such features as ICD-9 to ICD-10 crosswalk, Unspecified” and ”Other Specified” code alerts, Age and sex edits, Manifestation code alert, Coding Clinic references, Diagnosis and Procedure Medicare Code Edit (MCE) alerts, etc.
    For $103.95 price that you’ll pay for Ingenix ICD-9 for Hospitals you also will get access to exclusive features like: snap-in tab dividers, 10 Steps to Correct Coding, Dx/MDC/DRG list appendix, that $69.95 AAPC ICD 9 book doesn’t include.
    AAPC book has PQRI measure flags and gives the actual measures that are applicable in Vol. 1 of ICD 9 book.
    About HCPCS book I only heard Ingenix book has expanded Index and brand name drugs include the particulars such as Dose/Unit, Route & Code(s). AAPC book though includes measure #s for PQRI indicators, which Ingenix book doesn’t have. Price of the AAPC book is $54.95 vs $99.95 Ingenix HCPCS Level II.
    Hope it helped.

Thank you!