06-09-2017, 02:18 AM | Community Wiki

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Help finding a home coding job

1. Default
    Medical Coding Books
    Hi,
    Kristy, Thank you for all the information.
    Very much useful...

Regards,
    Nalini CPC

2. Default
    Thank you, happy to help!

3. Default
    Kindred Health Care also hires remote coders. They are long-term acute care hospital coding, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Several colleagues left the same company to go work for this company and love it!

I need some advice..I have been coding for now going on seven years with an Orthopadic company. i am also wanting to go home and code but the problem I am having is i have been coding the physican side not the hospital. I've found some jobs out there but its like they don't want to hire me because of having no hospital coding. I've coded surgeries and physical therapy. Does anyone know of any companies out there that would hire a physician coder? Thanks a bunch!!! Any advice helps!!

Can anyone tell me what is the average pay for working from home ? I worked for a physicain's office and hospital making about the same per hour. I did some remote coding before and was paid $20.00 per hour but no taxes were taken out along with no benifits. There were no minimum charts that you had to complete each day, you were given a certain amount and had a week to complete them. I enjoyed that because you worked at your own pace, problem was once you were done lets just say it was wed and this had to be turned in on fri, you would not get anymore because they felt you woudln't be able to complete another set in two days. At my previous jobs working in the office i was paid about half of that but recieved benifits and was not on a time frame. I would love to work from home but i have two small children and so i would have to get everything done between your normal 8-5 hours and would not be able to work nights and weekends, i would be afraid i wouldn't complete it in time and would have to work this extra hours. At my previous jobs what you did was yours at your own desk, if you had to leave early or miss a day it was waiting for you when you returned, unless you were out a few days of course.

6. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by cpccoder2008 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what is the average pay for working from home ? I worked for a physicain's office and hospital making about the same per hour. I did some remote coding before and was paid $20.00 per hour but no taxes were taken out along with no benifits. There were no minimum charts that you had to complete each day, you were given a certain amount and had a week to complete them. I enjoyed that because you worked at your own pace, problem was once you were done lets just say it was wed and this had to be turned in on fri, you would not get anymore because they felt you woudln't be able to complete another set in two days. At my previous jobs working in the office i was paid about half of that but recieved benifits and was not on a time frame. I would love to work from home but i have two small children and so i would have to get everything done between your normal 8-5 hours and would not be able to work nights and weekends, i would be afraid i wouldn't complete it in time and would have to work this extra hours. At my previous jobs what you did was yours at your own desk, if you had to leave early or miss a day it was waiting for you when you returned, unless you were out a few days of course.
    I think every company does it a little different. I have worked for companies that have a que with live charts and you just code what's in the que. With that company you had a week to meet the number of charts you signed up for, so if you had to take a day off you could catch up on another day. Other companies I've worked for had a batch of charts they gave to you each day and you were to complete them that day at any given time. Another contract I had had a live que and you just told the head of your client what you expected to code that given day and then at the end of the day you told them what you actually coded. This allowed your numbers to vary more or less depending on your schedule and needs.

All of the companies I worked for were contract and paid per. chart, no benefits, and paid gross not net. Because of the "self employed" status you can write off a lot of items on your taxes though. I think what you are paid for per chart depends on the specialty you code for and the rate of charts per. hour that specialty sets as their standard. I prefer emergency medicine and have traditionally been paid .65 - .75 cents per. chart. The standard rate was 25 charts an hour which would average to about $16.25 - $18.75 an hour. I don't know if maybe emergency records are just easier, but I've always been able to code about 40 an hour which average to about $26.00 - $30.00 an hour.

Like I said though, a lot depends on the company, the specialty, and the coder.

Hope this helps

Kristy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12