AAPC - Back to school
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help finding a home coding job

Default Help finding a home coding job

AAPC: Back to School
    I have been coding from home for the past five years. My desire was to watch my children grow up. So many others seem to want the same thing but have not had the same success I feel I have. I just want to share some pointers with those trying the achieve this goal.

Despite what some may say, home coding jobs do exist and they can pay quite well, but there are some stipulations.

First, you need a coding credential (usually a CPC or CCS).

Second, most companies require 2-3 years of coding experience (usually in a single specialty).

Third, most home coding positions are "independent contractor" positions. That means that you are technically self-employed. While you will have steady work and pay check you will be responsible for your own taxes, health insurance, and vacations will not be paid.

Fourth, you will need to know how to locate a company that hires at home coders.

I have compiled a short list of companies on my website of legitimate companies that hire at home coders. I have worked for three of these companies myself. This is a link to the list (just scroll to the bottom): http://www.medicalbillingandmedicalc...odingjobs.html

Good luck everyone!

Default Remote

I started at home last June with a part time company and in September with a full time and love being home. My kids are grown...but soooo tired of the offfice drama and I have the discipline to work at home. My full time job recently announced an upcoming 3 month downtime. Shock to me but now looking again. I will use the list to get my name out again. Guess it just proves that nothing is a sure deal. Thanks for the info.

Default Website

kristy, just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your website. Lots of great information even for someone with coding and work at home experience. It's great that there is a resource
    with honesty.

St Joseph

Kristy, Thank you for all the info. I currently have been going back and forth about coding from home. I currently have 9 years of multi-specialty practice experience and wondered if I have the right credentials. I just want to say "Thank you" for your very informative website.

Default very helpful website!

Thanks kristyrodecker,
    your info really help! since i just graduated for MBC program and has no working experience in the medical coding field although i do have strong coding skills. wondering if you know some one who hiring an entry level coder. please send email to me at: liumantao@yahoo.com if you know something. your kindness will be appreciated.
    Thanks again.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the compliments. I honestly was just tired of seeing people taken advantage of in this field. There just seem to be so many scams out there that are targeting good, honest, hardworking people who just want to be at home with their families.

Default here are 2 more....

I have worked as a remote coder doing risk adjustment auditing for a little over 4 years now for both of the companies below. Neither of these were "independent contractor jobs" Neither offer benefits such as health insurance or paid time off but they did take care of deducting taxes and you get a W-2 at the end of the year. They both pay every other week. They both offer full time work for the most part. They both give you paid training to make sure you know exactly what they expect of you and you get CEU credits for the training!
    Medassurant paid by the hour and had work year round although there were some slow times where there was less work than other times. This company provided a company laptop to work on. Medassurant hired me with less than a year of actual on the job experience while I still had my CPC-A!!!
    Outcomes pays per chart and they do seem to have some lengthy downtime every year which is coming up again really soon. Last year the work died out for them about this time and I didn't start back up with them until fall but there was plenty of work to be done all fall & winter. This company does not provide a laptop. You use your own computer.

I don't know that either of them is hiring currently but I thought I would let you know about them.

Default two more

thanks for the info. I will add these to my list

Thanks so much for the information I have 20 years of coding and medical billing experience with a CPC, I am wanting to work from home so this information helps!

Temple, TX

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kristyrodecker View Post
    I have compiled a short list of companies on my website of legitimate companies that hire at home coders. I have worked for three of these companies myself. This is a link to the list (just scroll to the bottom): http://www.medicalbillingandmedicalc...odingjobs.html
    Great job on this site "kristyrodecker"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast