AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Entry level Medical Billing Jobs

AAPC: Back to School
    I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth it. I just recently finished my program and have been looking for a job in medical billing. I haven't taking the CPC exam yet but i am looking for an entry level job just to get my foot in the door. I recenty applied for volunteer work at the local hospitol so hopefully that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by medcoder9 View Post
    That's what I just point out earlier in my post I will just repost here out of frustration. Also for AAPC to REALLY make sure the only one required to take certification exams are the ones with experience since inexperienced certified coders seem to just waste their time, money and effort for a career change to NOTHING:

What's surprising is AAPC letting inexperienced coders like me take CPC exam, pay exam fee, pay membership, pay coding courses, pay CEUs, pay coding books needed for the exam. All out from our own unemployed pockets. Hoping for a better career. Like inexperienced coders like me who successfully passed the exam, FIRST try, passed coding course with flying colors. Only to be shut down by employers because we don't have experience which ironically we will never EVER have if we are not given a chance.

Is successfully passing the exam and and coding course NOT enough for employers? Yes!

So I hope AAPC change their requirements in taking CPC exams. Don't let inexperienced coders waste their time, money and effort. Only to be rejected again and again and again.

Since the coding field is OBVIOUSLY only for experienced non certified coders.

Maybe employers should also have the ABILITY AND WILLINGNESS to train inexperienced CERTIFIED coders. Who are MORE than willing and able.

I agree with one poster who was told you need at least 1 year experience before taking certification exam. I hope you follow that instruction because it is a FACT. You won't get hired if u have no experience. PERIOD.

And for the guy who is inexperienced and already paid for certification exam... welcome to unemployment.
    ummmm... wow..... Did you ever stop think about the ECONOMY we are in could be just a bit of a factor in this? You stated that "the coding field OBVIOUSLY only for experienced non certified coders". Well, then I guess that all non certified coders would have a job then wouldn't they? Attitude means all. Positive thinking leads to positive reactions. One thing you all have to remember here... you are trying to compete right now with CERTIFIED EXPERIENCED CODERS. Who do you think is going to get the job? Seriously look at it from the employers point of view. Somebody with experience needs little training. I am NOT stating that you CANNOT get a job in this field. I AM saying stay POSITIVE and you will eventually land a job where you need to be. It is tough out there for everybody. I think once the economy gets better, the easier it will be for you, the inexperienced whether already certified or not, to gain employment. Even until then, network... look... ask... keep plugging at it. DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!! If you give up then you will never get anywhere!!!!!!! If you have a passion for this field, which I hope you all do, then dang it keep at it. Apply at every single job you can. Sell yourself. Think positive. If you have to start as a receptionist then do so... get your foot in the door. Even as a receptionist you will gain experience you need to know in the medical field. I personally started off as a medical assistant way back when. I was blessed with my first job because I did everything... front office, back office, transcription, billing, coding, scheduling... you name it and I did it. I worked my way up from there. I have been doing coding since 1996. Some jobs I did both billing and coding. For the last eight years, I work from home coding remotely because I cannot work in a medical environoment anymore (health reasons). I LOVE my job. If I can do this, then all of you can too!!!! DO NOT GIVE UP!!! I promise you that you will eventually get what you are searching for. Sometimes it just takes time. Good Luck to you ALL!!!!!!! YOU WILL GET THERE!!!!!!

Fayetteville, NC

I understand your frustrations BUT eadun2000 is right. Attitude is everything>
    And sometimes inexperienced coders do get coding jobs. I know I did. I finished my class in December of 2007, sat for the CPC in March of 2008 and passed my first time. Then I looked for work until June of 2008. I interviewed several places, places that were offering $8-$9 an hour for certified coders. (Crazy but I needed a job and if I had been offered one of those I might have taken it)
    I was applying to everything, even jobs that I wasn't qualified for because I knew that if I interviewed with the right person I would be able to let them see my passion for coding and my thirst for coding knowledge.
    In June I interviewed with a small local surgeons office (3 surgeons general, vascular, and thoracic and 1 PA) and I got the job!! Because I was certified and some of the other candidates were not.
    It is possible!! Just hang in there. I understand you have to eat and pay bills so maybe you have to take another job or two in the interim but NEVER give up. Keep studying and keep learning. Get out the phone book and call every physician's office in your area! Create a neat cover letter and mail your resume to all of those offices!! Impress everyone with your positive energy and can do attitude!!
    A. McCormick, CPC, CGSC
    Walters Surgical Associates

Quote Originally Posted by lernst View Post
    Hello, I live in the northern region of New Jersey and about a month ago, I graduated a medical billing and coding school. Right before I graduated the school, I took the AAPC certified Possessional Coder exam and passed and am now looking for a job. I graduated at the top of my class with a 4.0. Now, for the past Month, I have been looking for a medical billing job around the Morris County area. I have mostly seen jobs offering $12-$13 an hour some with benefits, and some without. Before I even attended this program, I made $15 an hour working in a Gym without any college degrees. While attending this program, I was told that I could easily ask for $18 to $20 an hour as a starting salary especially because I'm certified, which I have now realized is not the case. I have also realized that being certified as a medical coder means nothing because to even do any coding I would need at least two years of experience. I paid $13,000 for the program and can't find a job that I can afford to take that would enable me to live and even pay my bills. Not only that, there are almost no jobs around where I live. Every job I have gone to is about an hour away. Is this situation normal for this area of the country, or is it just me? I would appreciate any advice someone could give me.
    I hear you...I'm in the same boat, although I'm due to take the CPC test in April...I too passed my classes (2yrs w/ all the standard courses) with flying colors. And yes, everyone, I get "the economy", that's why I'm in this spot. And for "positive thinking"...the economy has turned "positive thinking" into "magical thinking" since 2009 ...so that's why your experience pre-2009 doesn't have much relevance (but appreciated though). This was made vividly clear today when I wasn't allowed to set foot on the campus of a major hospital in NYC...the security guard said if I didn't have an appt, I could submit a resume to [the corporation that controls the hospital group]...it was obvious he'd said this 1000 times.

And as for "getting your foot in the door"? In my case, I have 18 yrs of IT experience, so I won't be considered for any "low-level" hospital job, no matter how willing I am to do it. Yet I will persevere because I like coding very much and it suits me to a "T"... I won't say "love it" 'cause it reminds me of a Pee Wee Herman joke.."Love it? Why don't you marry it!

P.S. - Some of us [me] have run through our unemployment [93 weeks!] and are really looking at the brick wall...on a brick-to-eye level.
    Last edited by tnypow; 03-02-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling/coherence

Cape Girardeau, Missouri

Default certified coders w/o experience

I see this problem as an industry error. The health care industry as a whole has decided this is the practice they should be following by not hiring certified coders w/o 2 years experience. Who decided that? If this is indeed going to continue to be the practice, then the schools should adapt and be offering coursework/practicums that give you credible experience to use out in the field.... Like doctors that have to do internships in the field as a part of their school. Schools should not be taking money and graduating new coders into a field that will not accept them simply because of an industry practice. There is a total disconnect between the education process for medical coding and the health care industry for hiring. There needs to be someone acting on this problem.
    ObCoder MA,BS,CPC

Temple, TX

Smile Keep your head up

It is tough for all in this field right now. Even experienced certified coders are finding themselves on the unemployment lines. Or having to except really low paying positions that don't reflect our experience or education.

If inexperienced people are taking these courses and expecting to find a job right off the bat, then I'm sorry to say you are mistaken. You may have to apply for health related jobs that may not require a coding degree or certification and work your way into the field.

Try front desk clerking or billing as some possibilities. As far as the comment about "see this problem as an industry error. The health care industry as a whole has decided this is the practice they should be following by not hiring certified coders w/o 2 years experience." isn't this true in any industry? How many people are being hired right out of school for their chosen degree of profession? Not many these days.

Just keep trying, if this is really a field you want to be in. Make phone calls, send out your resume to every office/hospital you can. There are employers out there who hire less than 2 yrs experience coders, you just haven't found it yet.

I wish you good luck.

Charlotte, NC

Did anyone attend Career Step?

If you went to school for billing and coding. Why is no one putting down that you have practical hours of experience, plus the hours that you did in your internships? Just saying it's a way to get hours shown on your resume.

I started in medical billing in 2000 with no experience at all!! I made $7.00/hour to mail claims, statements, and learn how to do A/R. I had to work my way up. I made far more money as a bartender, but I wanted a career change. I don't understand why you are so upset that pay is commensurate with experience. I was the person that had years of experience as a biller but nothing that said I could code. I didn't start making decent wages until I had the experience and the piece of paper to go with it. Which is true of just about every industry regardless of economic hardship. The schools are out there to make money, period. It is your job to research to see if what they are selling is indeed true.

I would just have to say "amen" to almost everything here. I took the course which used Carol Buck's textbooks. I thought her's was the "gold standard" in coding. I worked very hard , learned a lot , and passed the class at the top. I then went on to pass the CPC. And here I sit. Reading this site everyday and getting angrier and more confused by the day.
    Should I continue to study? Pay for CEU's , Webinar's? What is the point if the knowledge alone is not enough to get a job. I applied at one local hospital where I made it a point of going to HR so they could see me when I handed in my resume (which she was very reluctant to take.) Insisting that I apply online, which with my work history does not give the full story of my life. (My husband and I had a business of our own for a while.) She told me that all of their coders had been there for a long time and never left. I felt like saying, "well, when one of them passes on, let me know." I think that is about what it will take by which time I also will be in a nursing home...maybe my only way to get "in". LOL. I asked the question about employment many times while taking the course and was not told until the end that employment would be hard if not impossible. They wanted their money for the course. I feel used all the way around.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast