In the extended ICD-9 description for both of these codes, there is a definition. For 530.11, the definition is "Inflammation of lower esophagus; due to regurgitated gastric acid. For 530.81, the definition is "Regurgitation of the gastric contents into esophagus and possibly pharynx". So my take is that the GERD dx is the actual regurgitation problem, and the 530.11 is what happens when you have this happen all the time; the after affects. I hope that helps!
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join