New pt visit vs. F/u pt visit

Default New pt visit vs. F/u pt visit
    Medical Coding Books
    I have a doctor who just legally brought another doctor's practice and patients are beginning to see my doctor can he bill for a new p/t visit since he has never seen these pt's and is reviewing the previous doctors charts? or does he have to bill as a f/u?? Please help been getting mixed info. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RINA457 View Post
    I have a doctor who just legally brought another doctor's practice and patients are beginning to see my doctor can he bill for a new p/t visit since he has never seen these pt's and is reviewing the previous doctors charts? or does he have to bill as a f/u?? Please help been getting mixed info. Thanks
    If the new owner provider's tax ID is different, then he can code the patients as new. I would make sure the HMO patients get assigned to him if the tax ID is not the same.

Default Did the other doctor retire?
    If your physician bought another physician's pratice and THAT other physician is NOW coming to work for YOUR practice, then all those patients are established.

If your physician bought another physician's practice and THAT other physician is RETIRING (or otherwise NO longer practicing), then they are new patients.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Similar Threads

1. Annual Medicare Visit with a problem visit on same date of service
    By SSweetland in forum Auditing General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-02-2014, 05:31 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2012, 01:20 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-23-2012, 11:31 AM
  4. Billing a New preventive visit with a new or established office visit