AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Icd-9 procedure

Red face Icd-9 procedure

AAPC: Back to School
    I have a patient that has an abdominal abcess for which they inserted a JP drain. My question is how do I code the insertion of the JP drain? They inserted it to drain the abcess that the patient still has so aftercare is out of the question. Hope someone can give me a direction.

Jodi Alexander CPC

The ICD-9 for the placement of the JP drain is V58.82 titting and adjustment of nonvasculaer catheter

CPT codes would be 49021 and 75989

ICD-9 procedure codes are 5491 and 8876

Smile JP drain

After looking into the code you suggested V58.82 I have figured out that it would not include a JP Drain. The coding tip under this code says that this code is not used for routine care of a surgical drain that ordinarly the drain is included in the aftercare of the surgery.

This particular patient did not have surgery so I don't have an aftercare code. The only thing I could come up with was V53.99, other than that I am out of ideas.

Similar Threads

1. ICD-9 procedure coding
    By mitchellde in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-21-2012, 11:36 PM
  2. Icd-9 procedure coding
    By jmastel in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 10:20 AM
  3. ICD-9-CM Procedure 86.22
    By E. Knowlton in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 2