AAPC - Back to school

Thread: ? on Family Therapy coding

Question ? on Family Therapy coding

AAPC: Back to School
    Here's the scenario - parents come in with their two children under age 18 to see a Behavioral Health provider -- they visit with the provider for 30 minutes as a family. The provider then sees each child separately for 15 minutes each. Does this get one family therapy code (90847) or would it be more appropriate to bill a 90804 or 90806 under each child separately? If anyone can help out with this scenario it would be great. Thank you!

That is a messy one. I am not sure you should bill family therapy as I dont know the content of the visit. You really cant bill the 90804 for each 15 min visit, because you havent even met the 20 min therapy minimum.
    I am not much help. I think I would want to see the notes before I would feel comfortable giving you any good advice

Similar Threads

1. Billing Family therapy, family members are both beneficiaries
    By gretchenemery in forum Behavioral Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2014, 12:34 PM
  2. Family Therapy 90847
    By courtneyb in forum Behavioral Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2013, 01:04 PM
  3. Indivudual Therapy and Family Therapy on same DOS
    By chickman4 in forum Behavioral Health
    Replies: 3