AAPC - Back to school

Thread: What is the Difference Between CPC and CPC-H?

Default What is the Difference Between CPC and CPC-H?

AAPC: Back to School
    I know that cpc-h is hospital but what are the major differences? I have just passed my exam for cpc and have been coding for radiology for over eleven years. Well, prior to passing employers wanted a cpc now when i apply they want the cpc-h for a remote coding position. how much different is hospital coding? Is it ok to ask an employer for a test instead of the 3yrs experience if you only have a cpc? i just feel frustrated. how many credentials do you need to get a gosh darn job?!

Louisville, KY

CPC-H tests on facility-fee hospital and other outpatient coding concepts.

As AAPC states, "Each examination is separate and distinct from one another." I recommend going to the corporate site page, choosing "Certification" from the tabs, then "Overview" and reading the differences. Even those stated differences seem understated to me. There really is substantial difference from the various sectors of coding and each exam tests specific skill sets.

Hope this helps a bit. I'm sure the folks at AAPC could provide some additional guidance on the topic for you.

Good luck.
    Kevin B. Shields, RHIT, CPCO, CCS, CPC, COC, CCS-P, CPC-P, CPC-I

Similar Threads

1. Testing for Inpatient position, Have CPC-H, whats the difference?
    By akilahgardner@gmail.com in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-26-2014, 06:23 AM
  2. Difference between CCS and CPC certification
    By JoAnne Stockbower in forum Employment General Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 01:27 PM
  3. difference between CMC, CPC, CCS
    By laura vangroningen in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2012, 08:53 AM