AAPC - Back to school

Thread: medicare denial for procedure...help??!

Baton Rouge

Default medicare denial for procedure...help??!

AAPC: Back to School
    I have a patient who is currently at a specialty hospital (wound care/cardiac rehab, etc) and was seen by the surgeon at the local medical center for debridement of left iliac fossa wound. The next day the patient was transported to the physician's office by EMS b/c he "bled during the night". Turns out there was a small vessel just under the skin pumping away. this was sutured and the bleeding stopped. Pt was sent back to the specialty hospital. Billed 12004 and Medicare denied stating "invalid or missing modifier". I'm thinking that b/c the patient is in-patient at the specialty hospital and came to the physician office for treatment that maybe this is the issue....but I can't for the life of me come up with an applicable modifier. 78 won't work b/c the primary procedure done the day before has zero global days. Any suggestions??

Lubbock, TX

54 modifier, maybe?

I think you should use a 58 modifier. I was told by our local Medicare carrier that anytime a debridement was done and patient had to have additional procedures performed that you would use a 58 modifier. If this works please let me know. I hope this helps some.

Similar Threads

1. Question regarding denial on procedure code J7609
    By Jessicat125 in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 04:34 PM
  2. Help with Medicare denial please?
    By ollielooya in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 03:33 PM
  3. Medicare denial for routine eye procedure
    By missyah20 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0