When billing based on time, the provider does not need to cover the 3 key components as long as the majority of the visit (> 50%) was spent in counseling and/or coordinating care.
In your example, the provider would need to document total time of the visit and state that greater than 50% was spent counseling the patient. He/She would also have to document what was discussed with the patient.
To bill 99305, the total visit must be at least 35 minutes long.
Medicare's National Coverage Provision - subject # PHYS-001 discusses billing on time.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join