If you look at page 243 in the CPT book on the upper right hand page, it states "if the physician is unable to advance the colonoscope beyond the SPLENIC flexure, due to unforeseen circumstances, report colonoscopy code with modifier 53.
Since it sounds as though the surgeon was able to advance past the splenic flexure, you shouldn't need a modifier. Code 45380 should be sufficient.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join