I was checking the College of American Pathologists' website and found the answer to the question. I am posting it in case anyone else is interested in the answer. Thank you!
Q: I noticed that sentinel lymph node is listed under the 88307 family in the CPT 2001 book. If I receive two separately identified lymph nodes, each designated as a â€śsentinelâ€ť node, can I bill for two units of service? Also, if I receive a sentinel node in conjunction with a mastectomy and/or regional lymph node resection, can I bill for it separately?
A: Code 88307, Sentinel Lymph Node, is used for sentinel lymph node protocol related to isotopic identification of a sentinel node. When you receive sentinel nodes that are separately identified, then each should be coded separately. If you receive a separately identified sentinel lymph node in conjunction with a mastectomy and/or regional lymph node resection, the sentinel node should be coded separately. Please also note that sentinel lymph node was accidentally omitted from the 88307 family in the CPT 2001 pathology and laboratory mini edition. However, it is listed in the CPT 2001 main edition.
If immunohistochemistry is required to evaluate a sentinel node, code 88342, Immunocytochemistry (including tissue immunoperoxidase), each antibody, is appropriate in addition to 88307. Code 88342 is reported once per antibody, per specimen.
http://www.cap.org Taken directly from the website at:
- ICD-10 Training
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join