AAPC - Back to school

Thread: OMG! Do I Need To Worry?

Default OMG! Do I Need To Worry?

AAPC: Back to School
    In the world of EHR and coders, do we need to worry about our jobs?

I work in a 10-physician office and my docs are looking at finally going to EHR.

What about coders in the background? Are we still valuable and needed or am I going to have to learn a new trade.

Anyone else work in a facility that has EHR and still has a coding job, please let me know.

Default Don't worry

I have worked in three different offices that have EHR, and all three still needed a coder. EHR systems can be configured in various ways. With some, there is still manual entering of charges, especially in surgical offices. Even if the doctor can enter charges in EHR that are then transferred over to the PM system, they are not infallible and often require a person to audit them. I don't think you should have to worry about losing your job due to EHR.

Hope this helps!

We are using EHR last 10 years. Doctors are not the coders. They make lot of errors. In our facility we are educating the physicians to code according to the documentaion

Oh, thank God.

I thought I might have to go back to school and learn how to be a chef. That would be the only other occupation I would ever want to do.