2 separate consults same day help!

Question 2 separate consults same day help!
    Exam Training Packages
    COMPLETELY SEPARATE DOCTOR PUT PT IN HOSPITAL... AND REQUESTED A CONSULT

DOCTOR A SEEN PT IN HOSPITAL AND DICTATED CONSULT (DOCTOR ON CALL)

DOCTOR B SEEN PT SAME DAY IN HOSPITAL DICTATED CONSULT TOOK PT TO SURGERY AND DICTATED THE OP-NOTE ON SAME DAY. (THIS IS THE PT NORMAL DOCTOR AND PT WANTS HIM TO DO SURGERY)

DOCTOR A SAME TYPE OF SURGEON PRACTICING WITH A SEPARATE NPI/TAX ID NUMBER PRACTING HERE IN OUR OFFICE BUT NOT A PART OF THE PRACTICE-SUB SPECIALITY SPORTS MEDICINE ORTHO

DOCTOR B SPECIALITY GENERAL ORTHO AND DOCTOR B IS PART OF THE PRACTICE

SHOULD I BILL DOCTOR A CONSULT W/MODIFER 56 AND BILLED DOCTOR B CONSULT AND OP-NOTE?? OR NO CHARGE CONSULT? HOW SHOULD I BILL THE CONSULTS?

NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ONE... THANK YOU...
    MEDICARE INSURANCE (I KNOW MEDICARE DOES NOT TAKE CONSULTS-I WILL BE BILLING INITIAL HOSPITAL CARE NOT CONSULT)
    Last edited by jenkins62; 03-08-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: ADDED WHO ON CALL/CLARIFY THE SITUATION

2. Default
    who saw patient first? who was the attending and did he/she request the consult? if dr.b was requested bill his consult with a 57 and then bill surgery. Really once you research and find that your dr. b was actually requested then you want to bill asap.

3. Default
    Could you tell me why both doc were called for a consutaltion? If doctor A was the doctor on call and couldn't do the surgery and referral the patient over to Dr B, this wouldn't be a consult. If this is the case Dr B should just charge a visit. Remember medicare not longer accept consultation codes

Similar Threads

1. 2 Separate Physicians billing on the same day
    By s7mich@hotmail.com in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-09-2015, 10:26 AM
  2. 96374 CPT & two separate ED visits same day
    By FLSJarrel in forum Medicare Regulations
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2014, 07:24 PM
  3. 2 providers consults same day
    By TLBOBB50 in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 2