ICD-10 (Volume 3 codes)

Default ICD-10 (Volume 3 codes)
    Exam Training Packages
    Does anyone know how ICD-10 will effect ICD-9 Volume 3 codes?

ICD-10-PCS will replace ICD-9 Volume III.

I am still teaching ICD-9 in my class, but ICD-10 is very much on the minds of the students. Perhaps I need to start with the fundamentals of ICD-10 with them, but I want as little confusion as possible.

Certainly you could "squeeze" I-10 into the end of the semester, provide students with an overview and assure them that their focus needs to be on learning ICD-9.

Since the certification exams they take and the work they'll be doing is based on ICD-9, there is not point for them to be exploring I-10 in too much depth. There are academic programs that are beginning to include I-10, so you might look at their models to see how it works.

Students have a difficult enough time gaining the skill and knowledge they need to be work-ready given the existing systems; I agree with you that it would prove confusing for them to have to learn 3 coding systems: ICD-9, HCPCS/CPT and ICD-10. Scale back their efforts. They have to understand that we'll all be on a level playing field just before and at the time of I-10 implementation.

I hope this helps.

Similar Threads

1. Icd-9 volume 3 codes
    By calysta3009@gmail.com in forum E/M
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-17-2014, 11:48 AM
  2. ICD-10 (Volume 3 codes)
    By dhoover2112 in forum ICD-10
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 09:48 PM
  3. Help with Volume 3 ICD-9 Procedure
    By katerina_98 in forum Employment General Discussion