AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Sad Truth of training

Tallahassee, Florida

Default Icd 10

AAPC: Back to School
    Thanks to Brandi for the link. Its better to get things from the source. At least I can start to look at it, see how the guidelines are set up, and go from there. I'm sure we'll all get through it. I think this will definately be a growing pain, but it will also showcase the value that coders bring to a practice/facility.

St. Louis West

If you can't afford a class the very best thing you can do for yourself is to purchase a copy of the latest draft of ICD10 and read, read, read the introduction and the guidelines. Get familiar with them and they won't be so scary. I was lucky enough to go to a two day AAPC Boot Camp last year. One entire day was spent on planning for I-10 and setting up a committee for your location or company to get the buy-in we'll need from everyone. They have suggested guidelines for who needs to be on the committee from the beginning, before you start training anyone including your doctors! This isn't just coders who will be affected by the change, it's virtually EVERYONE in your office. The coders will have it easier than we think, because at least we will know what is needed. Think about your front desk people, the appointment people, the referral people, the nurses, MA's, PA's and doctors, and then the billers and A/R people on the back end. There isn't ONE person who won't be touched in some way by this change. Don't be scared for us. We will take the time to learn it, and it's really not so different from what we have done all along, it's just all in one code!!

Also, read your Coding Edge. There should be an ICD10 article in every issue. Ask your local chapter to put on some programs that relate to I-10. There are people out there already who are willing to share their knowledge. All you have to do is find them!!
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Barbara Fontaine, CPC
    2011-2015 AAPCCA [B]Past Board of Directors Chair

COLOR="Blue"]Assume Positive Intent...Be Kind!

Past President St. Louis West Chapter

email: bfontaine@signaturehealth.net

Quote Originally Posted by btadlock1 View Post
    free training from the people that wrote the book (there's a link if you scroll down):

great tool - thank you!

I believe the most difficult part of ICD-10 will be getting the physicians to document according to the level of specificity required, especially procedures. We are all capable of learning ICD-10 but we will not be able to code if the documentation isn't there.

Columbia, MO

Quote Originally Posted by anna.s.o@sbcglobal.net View Post
    great tool - thank you!
    Yes this is a great link for ICD-10. However the US will use ICD-10 CM and this is not the same. This tool will not be of much help for us and can be very confusing when you compare the code sets and rules.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Dover Seacoast New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    Yes this is a great link for ICD-10. However the US will use ICD-10 CM and this is not the same. This tool will not be of much help for us and can be very confusing when you compare the code sets and rules.

Absolutely right Debra...and as we know.... other countries have a single-payer system, which we do not. That's going to be one of our biggest challenges.

I recommend just purchasing the ICD-10-CM draft, and reading the instructions, the code descriptions, and becoming very familiar with the methodology. It's not all that different and confusing.
    Pam Brooks, MHA, CPC, PCS, COC
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

York, Pa

I totally agree with Kevin! I for one am not afraid to admit that I need a serious brush up of A&P. It's been years since I've taken a course and when you specialize I am a firm believer that you lose it, if not used on a regular/daily basis. I see that AAPC has an A&P presentation that I'm considering....
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

Default ICD10 training

Nancy Maguire's website Codapedia has free training modules, self paced.
    She says she will have one a month till implementation.

Las Vegas

Regretfully I think this is the mindset of most physicians I come into contact with (especially smaller physician groups with 1 or 2 providers). Regardless of how hard we try to get them to understand that ICD-10 is coming, many of them still believe it will be postponed (again). Fortunately, we, as coders and billers who are part of AAPC, know different and it will be up to us to be as prepared as possible (even if we have to figure out ways to pay for our own training) so that when the time comes to do the "last minute scrabble" to try to get them up to date so they don't wind up closing their practices due to lack of income, we will be prepared. As it has been said many times, learning the codes themselves is not a priority now but learning how to implement and what steps need to be taken are key now. Also making sure that the doctors with work with now have their billing systems ready and that their documentation skills are up to par (start working them away from the "not elsewhere classified" and "not otherwise specified" codes).

In this particular case, I would suggest that you give as much information as you can to your managers (AAPC articles and the CMS website). Looking for another job is not the solution to your problem, you will encounter the same thing throughout the medical field. While AAPC has done an awesome job of preparing us, physician organizations (like the AMA) are failing to get the doctors to grasp just how drastic this transition will impact them and their pocketbooks. Until the carriers stop paying them (or slows down) because they are not in compliance, they may not get the message regardless of how hard we try.

I would strongly encourage you (if you are not a local chapter officer) to consider running for an office. AAPC gives chapter officers discounts to national conventions and the next two conventions will be valuable in preparing for the transition. Also some chapters do offer "scholarships" to assist members in paying for conferences. While they may not pay all of your expenses every little bit helps but you need to take the "bull by the horns" and use all of the resources available to you to gain the knowledge.

Boning up on your Anatomy now will go along way toward helping you be prepared. If you have seen any of the ICD-10 drafts, specificity is going to be the key. A lot of the regular book stores have some really good books out there that are fairly inexpensive. While it may seem childish to some, the coloring books on Anatomy are amazing and you can learn a lot from them.

I feel it's too early for coder training. The electronic end is a whole different story.

I attended an ICD-10 class in Mpls last October just to get my feet "wet" and to get my hands on a draft of the ICD-10 book. AAPC has advised that six months prior to the conversion is plenty of time for coder training. Retaining the information is the key issue!! Plus the ICD-10 will continually be updated until the final draft and printing.

My main concern is the using the I and O in the ICD-10 coding sequence, hopefully it won't be too confusing. Oh I forgot the x place holders too. It will be quite the learning experience! At least we are all in the same boat!

By the way, Brandi I really appreciate your input on this board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast