Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Sad Truth of training

1. Default The Sad Truth of training
    Exam Training Packages
    My employment just doesn't think ICD10 is all that important. Recetly, the physician coders have recently been put under the Hospital Coders. We are 2 diffferent worlds. With the combining of the 2 departments, the BUDGET has been cut. Now, my boss feels it is only necessary to send 1 coder to an seminar or conference. Although all coders need the training and the CEUS, my boss feels it is only important for one person to go and relay the news. I CAN'T STAND that reasoning. When I asked my boss about it and told her how important it was for me to be there and listen, she states, " There just isn't enough money in the budget,"

Now, I just can't afford to pay to go to these seminars myself. I can hardly pay all my bills let alone send myself to a seminar.

Is it me or is my organization just thinking... " Oh well they will figure it out. " We have done ABSOLUTELY no training for ICD10. YET, our hospital is getting ready to update our billing sofftware. They have spent over a year sending people out of state to get training on how to do this. They are spending 100,000 thousands of dollars on " FIXING THE REVENUE CYCLE." yet they can't afford to send me to a $209.00 seminar.

I feel like maybe I should look for a new job, but yet I am not ready to leave here... I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Free Training from the people that wrote the book (There's a link if you scroll down):
    http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/

3. Default
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe26 View Post
    Thanks
    I know the feeling you have right now, but mine's almost the opposite of yours - I've been put in charge of ICD-10 implementation for our company, and I'm sure that my bosses would pay for me to go to classes if I found one in particular, but there are so many out there, I wouldn't know where to start to find a beneficial one. I just printed off the conventions and am going to see how much I can absorb from them. The free modules from the WHO seem really in-depth, though, so why pay to have someone teach you something, when you can get it from the source for free?

Now is not exactly the time to begin learning the details of technical coding in ICD-10. Instead of going to conferences where the basics (structure, content and overview) will be covered (again!), coders should be working independently to assess their weaknesses and areas where development is needed. For instance, coders who've not had anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology and similar clinical foundations in a number of years should be seeking how to fill those knowledge gaps. You will NOT have time to develop these skills if you wait to address them.

Personally, I do not know that many speakers and consultants have any more insight into ICD-10 than we can gain by sitting down and developing our coding skills in that system now. If you're confident in your clinical basics, look at some of the inexpensive ICD-10 basics workbooks. Consider spending your money and time in locating the most recent version of ICD-10 and over the next year gaining some hands-on experience in ICD-10 coding.

There really is no better lesson than sitting down, reading the guidelines, making notes in the manuals and getting your hands dirty coding in that system.

See what you can get for free and go from there. Implementation will be challenging, but we'll all survive.

Talking
    That makes me feel better...I think I'll understand it once I get all of the rules down. It may just be the size of the print, but it seems like there are a LOT more than in the ICD-9. The real challenge is going to be getting everyone else on the same page; how to teach it to people that are really experienced without drowning them in useless information, and also to the billing and reimbursement staff - many of whom have little to no coding experience and have no interest in learning about it...but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

7. Default
    Kev

You know that is a great idea. Besides, if no one else will help you, YOU have to help yourself Luckily I just had anatomy not too long ago. BUT I will have to get my old anatomy book out and study up on it.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions

Brandi

I might have to come work for you HAAHAA

Kevin -
    Thank you for injecting realism into this touchy subject. I work in the health payer system and I am not pleased with the way our I-10 project is moving. I have finally spoken out about it and hopefully we'll have time to re-assess and get a grip. We don't even have a handle on our business requirements and we are chasing down tools and mapping exercises.

L

9. Default
    XLB

I know what you mean my friend. I am just hoping and praying everything will transition smoothly.

10. Default
    True the budgets have been cut everywhere. Everyone is gotta make a buck in training you to do what is required. If you look hard enough, you will find "free" education out there. You just have to find it. You also must depend on that person who is going to those siminars to come back and share the information (that is if he or she understands it). Then some people are not into public speaking, so the person that is to go to the siminar can not be afraid to be the person afraid to get up and share the information in front of the group. It should be required he or she shares that information. Don't look for another job. Jobs are hard to find. That is just a small problem if that is the only problem. Some times we must find other methods to educate ourselves rather than look to others to educate us. :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast