Modifier 77 is for procedures performed on the same day. It would not apply to procedures performed on a different day. I like the explanation quoted here:
A. Modifier –77 is used for a procedure that was performed that had to be repeated by a different physician in a different session on the same day.
B. The procedure code is listed once and then listed again with the modifier –77 added to any subsequent procedure(s). Each time the procedure was repeated should be reported on separate lines.
C. Do not use the units field to indicate that the procedure was performed more than once on the same day.
D. If you are not sure who ordered the second procedure, or whether the same physician ordered the both procedures, code based on the physician who performed the procedure(s).
E. The repeated procedure MUST be the same procedure
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join