You may bill for an assist ONLY if there is NO QUALIFIED resident available. The primary surgeon MUST specifically document the requirement for an assist, the fact that no qualified resident is available, and a brief description of how other surgeon (or PA or NP) assisted.
You will use an -82 modifier if the documentation supports billing an assist.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Training
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join