Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Frustrated new CPC-A asking for advice

1. Default Frustrated new CPC-A asking for advice
    Exam Training Packages
    I have my AS degree in medical billing and coding, am working on my BA in Health Information Management and passed my CPC test last month. I have applied at over 50 places and have not even a whisper from anyone. I wanted to do project Xtern but the one place within three hours of me no longer does it but it is still listed on the AAPC website. I have sent information to the local hospital I used to work for to ask if they would be interested in Project Xtern, again, not a word. I search job boards, look in local papers and anything else I can think of. I applied through the state for an entry level position at the prison for medical records clerk. I failed their assessment because they ask if you are certified through AHIMA but not through AAPC, though it was the AAPC Job board I found the job listed on. I have gone so far as to appeal the test but nothing has come of it. I am highly frustrated.

I am not asking for a free hand out. I have studied long and hard to only hit a wall. EVERY job I see asks for years of experience. HOW is one to get this coveted experience? I have followed advice read on this board and applied for positions I don't qualify for in the hopes something might happen. Is there a point to all this? I'm moving past frustrated into downright angry that all my efforts have been for naught. Any advice from anyone that I haven't read on these boards yet? Should I toss in the towel and move on to a different field? I sincerely have no idea what to do next and sitting on my bed crying simply isn't an option. I have kids to feed and bills to pay.

2. Default
    Kalyeope-I am in the same boat, but, since 2009. I recv'd my CPC in June 2009 and CPC-H in Dec 2009...I am STILL not working..same as you..I have done all of the above. I have just purchased the 2011 coding books and will renew my certification with AAPC, BUT, if things are still the same this time next year it will be bye bye to AAPC. I have studied long and hard also. I go to chapter meetings all over my state to get my CEU's and to network. You are right, EVERYONE wants experience. I too have hit the brick wall. Project Xtern is the same here, no replies...My next option, which I will start on next week is to go door to door...Let me know how things work out for you. I wish you and me the best. I have caught up with others from my coding school and they are also still looking. Something WILL come up....
    moduffy

3. Default
    I can empathize moduffy. I have even considered starting the process of getting the A off of my CPC with the new program they have but...to what end? I still can't put any experience on my resume. Employers will still ask if I have worked in a hospital or doctors office and my answer will still be no. Its also another 200 dollars which I don't have. I will keep trying. I am even going to consider relocating this summer if I can find someone in another area that will give me a chance. I realize the economy is bad but if there are so many coder jobs out there.. how can there be none available? I am now over educated for sooo many jobs and yet not qualified for anything else. I felt better off in my minimum wage 40 hour a week nothing job that now I couldn't get because who wants to hire a middle aged woman with a degree and a certification when they can get a wet behind the ears teenager likely to stay longer but do a worse job? Ah well.. venting out of my system, back to the search.

4. Default
    im also in the same situation with both of you... i had my cpc-a.. took it seriously! had my bachelors degree but still no luck in the coding.. we were told then that coding job is flooding and can be easy get into.. WRONG and BIG MISTAKE for us that we didnt go check around.. all the job requires atleast a year of experience! im so fraustrated already about this situation.. i just wasted my time studying and for what????

5. Default Disgusted and Quitting
    I have had my CPC-A since November 2009. NO ONE will hire me without experience. The only job that I can get is as a Receptionist and those types of jobs do not pay enough for me to afford after-school care and gas money. So, this month I am letting my certification go and giving up on healthcare. I am going back to school in a completely different field. I am sick to death of healthcare and wish that I had never wasted my time, money and effort on a worthless piece of paper. I wish I had never listened to all the hype about "keep trying, you'll find a job eventually and it will all be worth it." Bull! I am very frustrated and angry, but can really not be angry at anybody except myself for believing a load of crap!

Quote Originally Posted by lewisfain View Post
    I have had my CPC-A since November 2009. NO ONE will hire me without experience. The only job that I can get is as a Receptionist and those types of jobs do not pay enough for me to afford after-school care and gas money. So, this month I am letting my certification go and giving up on healthcare. I am going back to school in a completely different field. I am sick to death of healthcare and wish that I had never wasted my time, money and effort on a worthless piece of paper. I wish I had never listened to all the hype about "keep trying, you'll find a job eventually and it will all be worth it." Bull! I am very frustrated and angry, but can really not be angry at anybody except myself for believing a load of crap!
    Some of you may not like this but I'm pretty sick of seeing the whining on here. You're quitting? Good riddance! The door that you're shutting for yourself opens the door for someone else, so don't let it hit you in the a$$. EVERYONE is having trouble finding jobs. What exactly were you planning on doing for money until you get your next miracle piece of paper? The truth of the matter is, you can get a job as a receptionist to get your foot in the door or you can act above it and quit trying. Words of encouragement, from people who went through the same stuff you are to break into the field, are all just hype? QUIT FEELING SORRY FOR YOURSELF. We ALL have bills. We have kids. We have aspirations to do something better with our lives. You are not the only ones that have come upon hards times. Where there is a will, there is a way... unless your attitude gets in the way of your will, of course.
    Vanessa Mier, CPC

I understand your frustration and the need to vent. My new grad nursing colleagues are experiencing similar circumstances in this dismal job market. The perceived nursing shortage is a media myth. There is a staffing shortage due to cuts in reimbursement and out-of-control CEO salary and bonuses. Grads from 2009 are still seeking their first nursing job and are buried in student loan debt. The local college boasted in a newspaper article that a third of its nursing graduates had jobs while they continue to create a career logjam by pumping out more nurses. When I graduated from nursing school (back in the dark ages) it seemed the only requirement to snag a position was to have a pulse.

You worked hard to pass a grueling 5.5 hour exam. For about 33 cents a day you can maintain your certification for another year. Think about it while you are working on Plan B. Good luck to all!

8. Default
    I can understand the frustration too, but I am the type of person that will never give up. I have worked too hard to get where I am today. I am RHIT, CCS and CPC certified with 7 years of experience in outpatient coding and graduated in 2008. I worked in a 36-bed sized facility for 7 years and in my opinion it did not help me due to the lack of HIM professionals in the facility that I worked in, but I did a lot of self-studying to do better myself and still continue to do so now.

My favorite quotes and words of advice – "Successful people are always looking for opportunities to help others. Unsuccessful people are always asking, "What's in it for me?"

"When you judge another, you do no define them, you define yourself".

Unfortunately, there are a lot of colleges and programs that advertise falsely and the statistics for jobs are questionable. For those going into the field do your homework: check the job needs in your area before going into the field. In my opinion, it seems like if a person is willing to travel for awhile you would have a better chance of getting your foot in the door, but I can understand that many are in the same boat as I am and cannot do that do to family situations.

Thanks Mojo for the positive and professional words. Kalyeope – keep up the positive attitude and do not give up, especially when you have a college education along with your certifications. My opinion – self study and do not depend on others to be successful.

p.s. Books that I found to be useful – AHIMA's clinical coding workout.

Default Agreed!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ohn0disaster View Post
    Some of you may not like this but I'm pretty sick of seeing the whining on here. You're quitting? Good riddance! The door that you're shutting for yourself opens the door for someone else, so don't let it hit you in the a$$. EVERYONE is having trouble finding jobs. What exactly were you planning on doing for money until you get your next miracle piece of paper? The truth of the matter is, you can get a job as a receptionist to get your foot in the door or you can act above it and quit trying. Words of encouragement, from people who went through the same stuff you are to break into the field, are all just hype? QUIT FEELING SORRY FOR YOURSELF. We ALL have bills. We have kids. We have aspirations to do something better with our lives. You are not the only ones that have come upon hards times. Where there is a will, there is a way... unless your attitude gets in the way of your will, of course.
    Vanessa,

Thank you so much for your comments! I can honestly say that I rarely get on the forums anymore because it seems to be more and more complainers/whiners etc... When I get on here and read these posts... it just makes me sick!!

I said it once before and will say it briefly again... Before going into any field regardless if it's medical or not...You really should do your homework and "research" the job market in your area, see what employers in that field are looking for BEFORE you go giving any school your hard earned money!!! I can't say for certain but I'm assuming no one twisted your arm or held a gun to your head and said " you have to get into the coding field" or else?

I started off as a Nursing Assistant then made my way to receptionist, then business office and various medical related jobs in between. In 2004 I was a medical biller for an IM practice and I decided to check AAPC by the tip of an intern we had ( never heard of AAPC) until that moment. My job at the time didn't require me to have a CPC but I thought I'd try it and see what happens... In 2004 I purchased what was then the ISP Program thru AAPC finished it in 4 months, took my exam and passed but was still not coding but I was happy with just billing... in 2006 I got that "itch" to code and nothing else...I applied for all types of "coding only" jobs and never got them because I didn't have the experience... finally in July 2010 I got my 1st break into coding and it was the Compliance Office... I left that job in the Compliance Dept and went back to my old employer to work in their Compliance office and I couldn't be happier... Did it happen over night? Heck no... it took me 5 years... no complaint's about the "climb" I finally made it.... things do take time, things don't happen overnight and also for some of you... Beware~ we have quite a few hiring managers who are on these Forums everyday reading your posts and forming opinions.... You never know who is looking, it could be that job inteview you're looking for!!!!

I wish you all luck in your future endeavors and I hope you all find what you are looking for... it took me 5 years...
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

Default CPC-A frustration
    I fully empathise and understand your frustration. A lot will depend on where you are located though. We advertised for a certified coder (a company requirement is that all new-hires are certified). It is a full time position with benefits and we got one applicant. I guess low wages in Florida may be part of the reason.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast