You can report code 35860 for the exploration of the hematoma and hemorrhage and code 35226 for the suture repair of the SFA. Append modifier 59 to code 35860.
Code 35860 represents the physician's work in exposing the area of the hematoma/hemorrhage, determining its cause and clearing the hematoma. Code 35226 represents the physician's work in repairing the SFA. Reimbursement for code 35860 will be reduced per multiple surgery rules.
Had the SFA not required repair, the physician would have explored the affected area, cleared the hematoma, closed the surgical opening and reported code 35721 - exploration [not followed by surgical repair]; femoral artery.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join