Spinal fusion

1. Default Spinal fusion
    Medical Coding Books
    SPINAL FUSION HELP

ARTHRODESIS FOR C6-C7 HERNIATION
    OP NOTE AS FOLLOWS

ARTHRODESIS C6-C7 ANTERIOR INTERBODY TECHNIQUE ; ANTERIOR DISCECTOMY; ANTERIOR INSTRUMENTATION USING GLOBUS PLATE AND MACHINE BONE GRAFT

ANY INPUT IS MUCH APPRECIATED

Unhappy
    Look at CPT code 22551; you will also need to code for the instrumentation such as CPT code 22845.
    Last edited by drado72; 03-15-2011 at 02:18 PM.

3. Default 22551
    I thought I had 22551 down pat - but have come across coding tips in Coding Companion 2011 for that code that reads "If complete discectomy is performed, report separately and append modifier 59. Documentation must support medical necessity and additional work; see 63075-63078." This statement is also in the coding tips for 22554.
    Is that statement incorrect for the new code? Is it a catch all for the interbody fusion codes? It seems contradictory.
    Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Default 22551
    The CPT book reads:
    Arthrodesis, anterior interbody, including disc space preparation, discectomy (which to me, means a complete removal of the disc) etc...
    yes?

5. Default
    Thanks. That's how I read it, too.

I would use 22554, 22845, 20931 for your example. I would only use the new code 22551 when in addition to the interbody fusion, a separate decompression is peformed. That is my understanding of the new 22551. It is a combination of what we used to report: 63075, 22554.