AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Mentor Help ICD-9, CPT, HCPCS

Default Mentor Help ICD-9, CPT, HCPCS

AAPC: Back to School
    I'm new CPC-A coder. Is the follow case scenario coded correctly.

The patient is here for follow up of prediabetes and hypertension. Checked vitals signs, lungs, heart, abdomen, and extremities. He continues to do well. He continues to work hard on weight loss through dietary modifications. He is down an additional 8 pounds in the last 3 months. He has no complaints. His energy level is good. He denies chest pain and shortness of breath. Follow up sooner if needed.

DX: 401.9, 790.29, 333.1

PROC: 99212

Columbia, MO

Idf this is all the documentation you have then I do not see justification for the 790.29, pre diabetes is not necessarily an abnormal blood glucose. And Nothing at all suggests the use of the 333.1 code.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Stuart, Florida

If you look in the Tabular List at code 790.29, it is the code for Prediabetes NOS. It is specifically stated right there in the book, so I do agree with the use of that code. However, I am still trying to figure out where the 333.1 came from. Is this word for word documentation or is this the short version?
    Vanessa Mier, CPC