This is true. Per the CPT guidelines, 90471 is used for the first administration of a vaccine given IM. If you are reporting addtional vaccines given IM, you report code 90472 for each addtional vaccine you give.
90472 is an add-on code and can only be reported in conjunction with code 90471.
If the vaccines are given via the oral or intranasal route, take a look at codes 90473/90474. If the vaccines are given to a pediatric patient (age 0-18) and counseling is done prior to the vaccine, take a look at codes 90460/90461.
Hope this helps.
- ICD-10 Training
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join