Since there is no code for LAA, we use the unlisted 33999. This is what I have on the LAA that I got from STS.
1) Left Atrial Appendage can be billed separately with CABG and other cardiac procedures except: MAZE and Mitral Valve Repair/Replacement. This is because the LAA ligation is considered to be a part of those procedures.
2) If the LAA is performed to remove thrombus, then code 33310/33315 should be reported appending the -59 and the -51 modifiers
3) If the LAA is was only thing done and not part of a MAZE or MVR then it should be reported using the unlisted code 33999
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join