E and V Coding

Default E and V Coding
    Medical Coding Books
    I am just wondering if there is some hints to go by when coding an E or V code? Like what kind of questions do you want to ask to know if you should be billing w/ one?

E codes are used to describe an accident. You use an E code to tell the type of accident and the place of occurence. E codes are also used in the table of drugs and chemicals. V codes are used for many things. I would suggest looking in the tabular list of your ICD-9 book under V codes and familiarize yourself with them.

Melissa Blow, CPC

Thanks for the response. I already know what they are used for. Maybe I should rephrase the question: When reading a report or chart what is the best questions to ask to know if you should code w/ a v or e code? Would it just be history or accident? Because let's say for example the patient has a pacemaker, what do you look up first to find that specific v code? I know what the code is but how do you find it is what I would like to know...what am i looking up. thanks

I think what you are asking is how do you look it up in the ICD-9 book??? I would look it up under status.

Melissa Blow, CPC

Default E code index
    There is an index specifically for E-codes. In my 2008 ICD9 for Physicians Vol I & II, Expert edition, the E-code index starts on page 337.
    F Tessa Bartels, CPC