Certified trainer vs certified coder

1. Default Certified trainer vs certified coder
    Exam Training Packages
    Hi. Can someone who knows clarify for me...I know all CPCs will need to take test by 9/14 in order to maintain credentials..and that will require some level of training in ICD 10. My question relates to becoming a certified trainer, (ie certified by AAPC or AHIMA) as an icd 10 INSTRUCTOR. Is there any REQUIREMENT (if so, please cite) that anyone who teaches internally (ie within a hospital or MD group setting) HAS TO BE a certified trainer?? Or is it enough that people who are charged with training educate themselves via seminars, on line tutorials etc and then train staff appropriately? thanks

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by sharlowm View Post
    Hi. Can someone who knows clarify for me...I know all CPCs will need to take test by 9/14 in order to maintain credentials..and that will require some level of training in ICD 10. My question relates to becoming a certified trainer, (ie certified by AAPC or AHIMA) as an icd 10 INSTRUCTOR. Is there any REQUIREMENT (if so, please cite) that anyone who teaches internally (ie within a hospital or MD group setting) HAS TO BE a certified trainer?? Or is it enough that people who are charged with training educate themselves via seminars, on line tutorials etc and then train staff appropriately? thanks
    I would think that in order to qualify as a trainer, one would need to obtain the PMCC certification (http://www.aapc.com/partner/professi...nstructor.aspx). I would certainly feel more comfortable knowing that the person "teaching" has such a set of credentials.

David Keown, CPC, OCS

AHIMA offers a program for training ICD-10 trainers. Here's the link.

http://www.ahima.org/icd10/trainers.aspx
    Pam Brooks, MHA, COC, PCS, CPC, AAPC Fellow
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney