Results 1 to 2 of 2

Internal Audit Process for Charge Entry

  1. Smile Internal Audit Process for Charge Entry
    Exam Training Packages
    Hi,
    I need to develop an internal policy on charge capture for daily charges and would love to see a few examples if you'd like to share. This is for an Infusion Center (hospital based).
    Thanks
    Traci
    traci.susong@gmail.com

  2. #2
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by traci.susong@gmail.com View Post
    Hi,
    I need to develop an internal policy on charge capture for daily charges and would love to see a few examples if you'd like to share. This is for an Infusion Center (hospital based).
    Thanks
    Traci
    traci.susong@gmail.com
    For prospective reviews, we have a person who is responsible for screening our electronic claims, and we have her hold all of the claims for the providers being reviewed, for a day or so. Once we've got a list to pick from, we pull a representive sample of their average code utilization, so if 30% of their claims are 99214's, and the other 70% are 99213's (for conversation's sake), then we'd pick 3 99214s and 7 99213's to review, and we'd release the rest of the claims.

    For retrospective reviews, we compare utilization patterns against CMS national stats for the same specialty, and pull claims where they are identified as outliers, since those pose the greatest risk, and have the highest potential for error. We use software called Anodyne Analytics to find the most frequently billed codes for each provider.

    You'll either need software that has the same types of reporting functions as Anodyne, or the ability to run custom reports with your current billing software...You can also buy audit software that comes with national stats pre-loaded - but if you'd rather not spend the extra money, you can find the info here:
    http://www.cms.gov/MedicareFeeforSvc...onforPartB.asp

    You've got to calculate the percentages yourself, though, and there's not anything newer than 2008 available, but it's better than nothing! Hope that helps!

Similar Threads

  1. Internal Audit Process Advice
    By maine4me in forum Auditing General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-17-2012, 12:15 PM
  2. Audit Process
    By agaluski in forum Auditing General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-21-2012, 06:05 AM
  3. Audit Process
    By maine4me in forum Auditing General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 12:14 PM
  4. Establishing an Audit Process
    By tarafarmer in forum Auditing General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 11:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Enjoying Our Forums?

AAPC forums are a benefit of membership. Joining AAPC grants you unlimited access, allowing you to post questions and participate with our community of over 150,000 professionals.

Join Now Continue Reading Without Full Access

Already a Member?

Login

Close Message

In addition to full participation on AAPC forums, as a member you will be able to:

  • Access to the largest healthcare job database in the world.
  • Join over 150,000 members of the healthcare network in the world.
  • Be a part of an industry leading organization that drives the business side of healthcare.
  • Save anywhere from 10%-50% with exclusive member discounts on courses, books, study materials, and conferences.
  • Access to discounts at hundreds of restaurants, travel destinations, retail stores, and service providers. AAPC members also have opportunities to save on heath, life, and liability insurance.
  • Become a member of a local chapter and attend regular meetings.