Quote Originally Posted by julieclifton2011 View Post
Can anyone out there help we with this. I am getting denials for Q0091 from BCBS saying that this code is a Medicare and Medicade code only and will not pay. They will also not pay for the 99000 code.
I am not aware of any other code to use. I would appreicate any help, I have a stack of denials I need to try and rebill.
I was at a seminar in Feb. and was assured that this Q0091 was the code to use if you were getting denied on 99000. Now I am really

Thanks so much,
This came from a BC/BS policy...
Correct Reporting of HCPCS Code Q0091 for Pap Smear Collection

We would like to take this opportunity to remind providers that obtaining a Pap smear is integral to the office visit, including both preventive and routine office visits. Separate reimbursement is not allowed for HCPCS code Q0091.

According to the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, code Q0091 should not be reported to non-Medicare payers for Pap smear collection, as the collection of a Pap smear is included in the E&M or preventive service.

The Q0091 code was developed by Medicare for the exclusive purpose of reporting services provided to Medicare patients. Providers should report this code to Medicare only for the collection of screening Pap smears for Medicare patients.