That is definitely the wrong code selection, as you stated that there are no documented effects due to the drug exposure to the child and 760.X code range specifically states "includes the listed maternal conditions only when specified as a cause of mortality or morbidity of the fetus or newborn".
What exactly was the nature of the encounter? Why did the patient come in? Was it specifically to observe the child's condition due to the drug exposure? Or is the "hx of in utero drug exposure" more of a side note? Is the child perfectly healthy? I'm thinking that you should be thinking more in terms of a V-code. V61.42 is the code for Substance abuse in family. I can't give you a confident answer without some documentation though.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join