Refer to the last paragraph of the 1995 medicare guideline.
D. DOCUMENTATION OF AN ENCOUNTER DOMINATED BY COUNSELING OR
COORDINATION OF CARE
In the case where counseling and/or coordination of care dominates (more than 50%) of the
physician/patient and/or family encounter (face-to-face time in the office or other outpatient setting or
floor/unit time in the hospital or nursing facility), time is considered the key or controlling factor to
qualify for a particular level of E/M services.
!DG: If the physician elects to report the level of service based on counseling
and/or coordination of care, the total length of time of the encounter (face-to-face or
floor time, as appropriate) should be documented and the record should describe
the counseling and/or activities to coordinate care.
If it is supported according to this you may bill for the alloted time for the given face-to-face time given for each E&M code.
Hope this helps,
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join