AAPC - Back to school
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: How many gained employment with NO experience?

AAPC: Back to School
    I wanted to encourage others a well. I have several years of experience and we recently hired a new coder ( who actually took an online course). She had her CPC and had looked for 6 months. I found her resume on here (AAPC). I prefer to hire someone who is "new" and does not have bad habits.

We have someone at our office, who has coded for "forever" and is not certified. She continues to "code" and I'm still finding incorrect coding when I look at her work. We are very pleased with our new CPC-A. Hang in there and I would suggest getting the foot in the door anyway you can.

Default Thank you

Thank you all for posting their stories to encourage new coders like us. I'm still tagging an "A" after my name. I got a job as HCC coder even before I graduated. after 3 months I jumped to different company, still coding HCC. I really worry that I'd be stuck here forever with HCC since I almost forgot all my CPT. Btw thanks to my employer, I have learned a lot about ICD 9. Most of my co workers they willing to do HCC for the rest of their life. I do like coding HCC too, somehow I still miss my traditional coding. My goal is to aim for CPC-H after I got off my A so that I can at least open my door for ED or OP. Pleas wish me luck.

P.S I have seen many work from home jobs for ED/Op and inpatient. Do they have WFH for HCC ?

Smile No experience, but landed a job

At the age of 44, I went back to school to learn the coding field. I was new to the medical filed, never worked in the medical field. I graduated in 2012, earned my CPC-A and six months later I was in tears because everybody wanted someone with experience. My teacher, Darcy Roy always told us to put ourselves OUT THERE. I did make it known wherever I went that I was seeking employment in the medical field. Lo and behold, my granddaughters daycare contacted me and said one of their moms was looking for coders. I did the interview and three weeks later, I was employed as a customer account rep with an Oncology Company. Still here and loving it.

Red face Got a Coding Job with Nearly No Experience

I just wanted to share my story here to encourage aspiring coders. I got hired as the Patient Financial Manager for a solo OB-GYN practice less than a month after completing the CPC exam with only a year of billing-coding school and a CPC-A certification. Our instructor sent us the information about the job openig, and I was the only one to apply! The only experience I had in the medical field was a summer of volunteer work in the employee records office of a local medical center. I did, however, have management experience from working at Wal-mart. Out of about 14 in my class, only two of us have found jobs as far as I know. At the interview, I had to convince my now manager that I could handle the job. My age was against me as well--I was only 21 when I got hired. I just got my "A" removed in May, and have been at this job for a little over a year now. I am definitely so very thankful after reading many new coders' unsuccessful job hunting stories on this site that I was able to find a job so quickly. I know that I'm definitely not the norm, but I still want to encourage those still looking not to give up and say that it IS possible to find a job as a new coder. "Just keep swimming!" --Dory from "Finding Nemo"

Default Work without experience

Everyone keeps saying take an office job etc. I have applied for these positions without luck. Everyone wants some type of experience in a medical setting. I have 20 years of customer service. I was a bartender/restaurant manger. Just a different kind of service. I am BRAND new to the industry. With the exception of school I don't have ANY relevant experience. I certified magna cum laude. I thought that would be worth something but it is not. No one wants to hire an apprentice. I am trying not to be discouraged but after working so hard for the last two years I thought getting a job would have been easier. Especially since we are suppose to be in such demand. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Red face

I myself have became extremely discouraged on having no experience in the coding field and take my CPC in less than a month. I greatly appreciated finding this thread and reading everyone's stories. Thank you all for the words of encouragement!

Default I found work after a year

A lot depends on where you live. While living in the middle of no-where, I took an on line coding and billing course and got my CPC-A. I could not find a local job. The one hospital out sourced its medical coding and the other hospital I really felt I needed to know someone to get my foot in the door. The local community college had a coding course so there was a lot of competition. I had a great opportunity at a hospital a hour away that I received by being treasurer of the local AAPC, but I flunked the test they gave me. YIKES! We recently moved out of state for my husband's job and found a job at a billing company 1 mile from my house! They were just looking for someone smart that they could train. Actually, they said that it was easier for them to hire someone without experience so I wouldn't have any habits to change. The pay is horrible, but the experience is priceless. At one point I thought I had wasted my time and money. But here I am with a job. My advice, keep learning, looking, volunteer at your AAPC local chapter. Also, I believe Jesus worked out hiring details that was beyond me. Thanks for letting my share.

Smile Coding Job With No Experience

I think the coding world is a little different now but 14 years ago I was hired as a coder with a Emergency Physician billing company with no experience at all. After a year or so later I studied and passed the CPC exam. I encourage everyone to keep at it. There are jobs out there, I personally think it's all about timing. I do think with ICD-10 there will be more coding positions available.

Smile Landing first job

After I finish the medical billing and coding program at the local community college I started looking for a coding job, soon I learned that would be almost impossible to break into the field. Since I had no experience in medical office, I decided to apply for any job at a hospital, clinic, or medical office that the description mentioned knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, icd9, and cpt code. After 4 months and 15 interviews, I finally got hired as a medical Biller . It has being very difficult, but I have learned so much. The doctors from my company are expected to code their staff, however I have been able to code for things they can't figure out. At the end I am doing both. So, my advise is : apply for as many jobs as you can find, show motivation, enthusiasm, and willingness to learn in your interview . IT WILL HAPPEN!:
    Last edited by vnascimento; 03-01-2014 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Missed words

Brainerd, MN

Talking Hired without experience

I received my first job as a coder with no experience.
    I quit my job (not related to the medical field) and went back to school to get my coding diploma. I studied my butt off from morning until the late hours of the night and most hours of every weekend for both inpatient and outpatient coding. I took my coding final and also that same weekend sat for the CPC test. I found out I passed the CPC before I found out I graduated with honors. Still with no job, I took the CCA and passed in August. I finally had "THE" interview in August and passed the coding test with 100% beating out both a RHIT and RHIA for my present coding job.
    After 7 months coding pathology and laboratory charges I started entering and coding the professional charges for anesthesia at our facility.
    1 year after becoming a coder I sat for the second time to take the CANPC and passed. 1 year and 2 months after becoming a coder I sat and passed the CHONC.
    Currently at 1 year 6 months to date and am studying for my next specialty - which is coming up very soon.
    My advice is to keep learning and study ALL the time while you are interviewing and no matter what - DON'T GIVE UP!
    Take the time to have a new set of eyes look - I MEAN really look at your resume. There is always room for improvement. Are you involved with your local AAPC chapter? Are you networking?